In today’s world where we get most of the things we need without having to get up from our desks or couches, staying physically active can be pretty challenging.
According to the World Health Organization, sedentary lifestyles increase all causes of mortality, double the risk of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and obesity, and increase the risks of colon cancer, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, lipid disorders, depression and anxiety.
SEE ALSO: 5 easy workouts you can do at home
Here in Dubai, we can get everything delivered to our doorstep, we have people running errands for us and nearly everything is a just phone call away.
So, now the question is, how can you stay physically active?
Here are fifteen easy and practical ways.
- Too hot outside? Go to the closest mall for a brisk stroll.
- When parking your car, park as far away as you can.
- When in the office, use your coffee breaks to take 10-minute walks.
- When going to the washroom, don’t use the one that’s closest to you.
- Buy a pedometer, or download an app that count steps. Walk 10,000 steps a day.
- Walk one flight of stairs ten times a day.
- Take your child, wife or husband for a walk. Explore new neighborhoods!
- Is your office on the fifth floor? Take the lift and stop on the 4th and take the stairs to your floor.
- Go to the beach. Stroll, swim and play!
- Wax on, wax off. Clean your bathroom tiles.
- Use public transport whenever you can.
- Take a walk after dinner.
- Don’t call for groceries. Get them yourself.
- Do stand-up meetings. That’s less time sitting on a chair, and it keeps the meetings short.
- Stretch and do squats while watching Game of Thrones.
If you can’t channel the gym buff in you, try to do these tips and lessen the time you spend sitting. Your body will thank you!